A Slice of Fried Gold

Multiversity Comics Update: Is this really happening?

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Last time on my Multiversity Comics update, we'd just had our biggest visitor day ever because of a Twitter list Matt had come up with. That was an extremely exciting day, one where Gil, Matt and myself could hardly believe what was happening perpetually. Since then, things have settled down a bit, but not for a lack of excitement. In recent weeks, we've added a new writer in fellow Alaskan and Boscos patron Brandon Burpee. Not only that, but we've had a slew of exciting interviews start coming down the path, as I've interviewed personal favorites like Jonathan Hickman, Fred Van Lente, and Francis Manapul. That's not even the tip of the iceberg. In coming weeks we have interviews with industry giants and newer and highly lauded creators alike, such as:
  • Brian Michael Bendis (essentially today's version of Stan Lee, the architect of Marvel Comics)
  • Filip Sablik (Publisher of Top Cow Productions, one of the biggest companies in the industry)
  • Joshua Dysart (acclaimed writer of Unknown Soldier and BPRD)
  • David Petersen (Eisner Award winner best known for his work Mouse Guard)
  • David Gallaher (Eisner Award winner best known for High Noon)
We have all of those, plus a number of other great creators like Phillip Tan, Brahm Revel, Jim McCann, and many, many more coming up, plus some other exciting interview opportunities that are presenting themselves.

If that wasn't exciting enough, we've started to get a good amount of press to help legitimize our venture even more so. The most exciting spotlight for me was when one of my favorite creators, Brian Wood of DMZ and Local fame, was emailed my review for the new issue of DMZ and promptly made a post on his forum discussing my review and what others opinions are of my thoughts. To think that I'm not just an outsider looking in but part of a site that seemingly is drawing the interest of all of those people I've idolized for forever is very exciting indeed. Of course, I can't ignore the fact that all of the interest in our site is earning me pretty sweet perks ("hello there package from company...you want me to read your title and feature it in my Small Press Spotlight column? Don't mind if I do!").

Possibly the coolest news of all though I've saved for last. I had been planning on going to the Emerald City ComiCon this year in Seattle, and now it appears that not only will I be attending, but I will be attending as a bonafide member of the press. Press pass and all, getting me into the events for free and into panels and the like automatically. To a huge dork like me whose aspirations for writing never really extended far out of endlessly ranting on this here blog (thank you all for reading it), it's pretty damn exciting. Yet, I do want to note that the more I write there the less time I have to write here. I'll still post plenty because it's my personal version of crack, but perhaps not as often as I have in the past. Still, follow my exploits at Multiversity Comics, and watch us grow into the next big comic site. Or not. Who knows, really? All I know is it's good to know reading comics for so long has started to pay off for me as a writer/person.

3 comments:

Troy Olson said...

Does this mean that hard work actually does pay off? Congrats on getting to this point (and having fun doing it).

David Harper said...

Yeah, I'm really loving it. I really hope we continue to grow, and given how dedicated we all are, I don't see that as being a problem. We might need to start looking in to advertisers fairly soon.

And yes, it does mean hard work pays off!

Erik said...

I'm stoked for you! How do you do the interviews? Over the phone, or via the internet?

Post a Comment