A Slice of Fried Gold

Instantaneous Connection

Sunday, July 1, 2007
Is there a specific subject that regardless of what is going on around you, regardless of who it is around you, if someone brings it up you instantaneously can fall into a lengthy conversation with them about it? I was always told by my Mom that she was very entertained when she went into Bosco's (the local comic store up here in Anchorage) because no matter how long I had been away from comics, as soon as the employee's noticed the fact that I had a pretty solid knowledge base they would be on me within seconds like a fly on last night's dinner. I could literally stay in a comic store all day and talk to pretty much any employee about them, regardless of any personal opinions about the person or anything. It's a very bizarre thing to have such an instantaneous connection with a person.

Today I went into Bosco's to buy a single comic, and it wasn't even my typical Bosco's, it was the one I never go to. Yet my quick trip to pick up a single comic ended up lasting 20+ minutes, discussing the massive dropoff of quality in DC Comics line since Infinite Crisis, the contradictory nature of Sinestro Corps being amazingly awesome (it's a DC book), and how far ahead Marvel Comics really is right now in terms of the race for best publisher. I had never, ever spoken to them before, yet I sat there and talked to them at great lengths like they were my best friends of many years. For a medium that has such an intense stereotype (anti-social folk who are either massively overweight or wear dark clothes and are pseudo goths) it is amazing how incorrect it really is. If you know what you are talking about, you immediately become a friend to them. It is as if you are speaking a special coded language that can only be understood by the two of you at that time. I'm sure everyone has their special language that stems from a topic that they deeply love, but that is mine. Maybe I am fluent in another language...and that language is comic-ese.

0 comments:

Post a Comment