A Slice of Fried Gold

Favorite Albums of the Decade: Wrap Up

Sunday, October 4, 2009
With my Slices of Fried Gold: The Decade Edition wrapped up for Albums, I'll be starting up on movies next, following that up with comics and TV shows shortly thereafter. I had grand intentions to do songs as well, but then I realized with three other categories coming up and wanting to do end of the year lists as well, it would be pretty much impossible unless I decided I wanted to quit my job to make lists about pop culture for a living (anyone hiring?).

However, before I move on from Albums of the Decade, just a few notes to make:
  • 2007 had the most albums on the list with 9, while 2001 and 2003 tied for second with 7 albums each (2007 was not surprising - it was a crazy good year...2001 and 2003 were)
  • Spoon had the most albums on the list with 3, and was one of only two bands to feature multiple albums (the other being Sigur Rós)
  • Only one rap album (that made me sad)
Really not as diverse as I originally expected it to be, but it is what it is. It was still a lot of fun to do and it was pretty cool hearing from people what they thought was going to be number one. For the record, no one guessed it correctly.

Now on to other Decade lists! Movies will likely start the week of the 11th, so keep an eye out for that. If you are a fellow blogger and enjoyed my lists, feel free to link as you please!

3 comments:

Erik said...

I've been trying to make decisions, and I think I've come as concrete as I'll be able to.

1. Arcade Fire - Funeral
2. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
3. Kanye West - Late Registration
4. Panda Bear - Person Pitch
5. Postal Service - Give up
6. Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle
7. The Strokes - Is This It
8. Spoon - Kill the Moonlight
9. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
10. Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
11. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
12. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
13. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
14. Radiohead - Kid A
15. The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightening, Strike

David Harper said...

Nice list! There is a lot of similarity overlap between our lists for sure. I really wanted Kanye and Panda Bear on my lists, but I couldn't put Kanye because I find his albums to be hard to listen to due to the skits taking me out of the full album experience, and Person Pitch just didn't fit my moods consistently.

I'm glad you did it though. It's freaking difficult, isn't it?

Sara said...

I have never heard of most of these albums or groups you've listed - guess I need to expand my musical horizons. I'm a huge Radiohead fan, though... and say what you will about The Killers - I dig 'em.

Post a Comment