A Slice of Fried Gold

Germans Make Me More Alaskan

Thursday, February 11, 2010

If you know me at all, you likely know that I am probably the worst Alaskan that has ever existed. It's a fact. I am horrendous at all winter sports (this is a fact, I can't even sled well). I despise the cold. I really don't like snow. I dress in slip on Sperry shoes year round. I don't own winter gear or boots of any sort.

Basically, I am about as ill equipped for the state as one person can be.

I'm okay with that.

So then why was I in Talkeetna last weekend for an adventure with dog sledding and wintry fun?

Well, my delightful German friends Katharina and Kerstin wanted to go, so go I went. They're leaving Alaska on February 19th and when given the opportunity to join them and do something a little bit different, I just couldn't pass.

I'm incredibly glad I did. The dog sledding part was amazing even though I didn't dog sled. Touring the kennel and talking to the folks who ran the Talkeetna Sun Dog Kennel was a blast and really informative. Plus, Katharina and Kerstin loved it, and that's all that matters.

I got to live my Talkeetna dream though - I got to eat at the Talkeetna Roadhouse! Featured on various Travel Channel shows, this place is as delectable as any breakfast joint in the state. In fact, they only have various pastries and three actual meals on the breakfast menu. Those meals? The standard (full size: 7 eggs, a pound of home fried potatoes, 6 pieces of pepper bacon), Sourdough Hotcakes, and my pick...biscuits and gravy.

Even though the waiter insisted that people who had just finished climbing mountains could barely finish the full size order of B&G, I ordered it. By ordered it, I mean I dominated it completely. It lasted roughly five minutes, but what a glorious five minutes it was.

All three of us loved our meals, which included the half standard and the special hotcake for the week (banana walnut). Throw in the incredible cinnamon roll we had earlier (redefining decadent, one bite at a time), and I had more of a love affair with this restaurant than an actual meal.

We retired to the area with couches afterwards, with myself napping on Katharina's lap as they chatted. The B&G was delicious, but oh dear lord was it exhausting.

It was an incredible journey, filled with lots of eating and lots of fun. It kind of proved that anywhere can be fantastic if you have the right people with you. Either that or it proved that Talkeetna was awesome. I think it did both, but no matter which way you look at it, I had an amazing time.

Now I just need to find a way to get Katharina and Kerstin to stay to help me become more Alaskan, and for me to get some biscuits and gravy stat! Just writing this made me ravenous for Roadhouse deliciousness.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

You have as typ-o buddy. Opps! Love Kellie

Post a Comment