A Slice of Fried Gold

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lately it seems like close friends are leaving me on a relatively routine basis. I suppose that's the nature of getting older...more and more people strike out on their own and end up away from me. I've tried to come up with some sort of way to get people to stick around longer, but short of contractual agreements or empty threats of some sort, I really can't think of anything that may work.

To add to the growing list of all of the departures, my dear German friends Katharina and Kerstin left this past Friday. While every friend that leaves is rough, these two leaving were perhaps the worst to date. Why is that? They live in freaking Germany! At the very least, they are a day and a thousand plus dollars away. That's pretty rough. Throw in the fact that they were awesome adventure buddies (you would rarely hear either of them say no to anything) and my first legitimate friends from another country, and I'm suddenly on the market looking for new foreign pals who love going out and doing whatever.

That is not a market Anchorage is rich in.

So if you know any cool Danish people living in the Anchorage area with a hankering for new experiences, send them my way. Until then, I'll be lamenting the departure of my dear Germans. Auf Wiedersehen, friends.

1 comments:

Bobbie said...

Oh, David! This post is so sad. At least you can keep in touch via email etc. I love your label "Jerkfaces Leaving Me" that pretty much sums up your feelings....

Good friends like that are hard to come by.

Post a Comment