A Slice of Fried Gold

Bizarro World

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ever see that episode of Seinfeld...you know, the Bizarro Seinfeld? The one where Elaine gets the three new friends who are the exact opposite of Jerry, George, and Kramer in every way, while being exactly the same at the same time? Tonight was like that, except it was my life and the whole world was topsy turvy. Not a long post tonight, just a quick one, because this was too weird not to mention. Here are some examples of the strangeness...

  • Today in Anchorage it reached a high of about 85 degrees...or according to the infamous Sea Galley sign it was a 107. Tomorrow it will likely be raining. Alaska, you are weird.
  • In trivia tonight, not only did we have zero points after the first round, we also only got 1 of the first 7 questions right in the second round. Then it was down to just Colver and I, and we ended up getting 4 of the remaining 5 questions right and finishing 3rd for the round. Then the third round we missed the first four and called uncle...what is going on.
  • There was a line for the Dairy Queen drive thru that was about 30 cars long. Yes. Dairy Queen, famous for its incredibly mediocre food and ridiculously delicious Blizzards. Proof that anything new in Alaska will be an instant success. Has the world gone insane?
  • Jeff Weaver, he of the 12+ ERA for the Seattle Mariners, managed to throw a complete game shutout. I listened on the radio earlier this year as he lasted a third of an inning and gave up 6 earned runs. He's so bad, after this game, his ERA was still 8.56. I'm pretty sure the world is about to explode.
  • I managed to make it to my Softball game tonight, and we were playing the powerhouse team in our league. We were also 5-1 like them, but they had been decimating teams. We beat 27-2. Twenty-Seven to Two. They did poorly. We did well.
  • At 6:30 it was 82 degrees. 9:30 there was crazy lightning and rain was starting. I quit, I'm going home.

At one point in the night, when it was just Colver and I, I broached the subject of this being bizarro world. I proposed the idea that things were going so backwards that I should really hit on one of the Hooters girls, because given optimal conditions I'd still fail just because of who they are, and I'd doubly fail because I'd somehow slur my speech and probably inadvertently tackle said girl. The world was so backwards, I'd probably have come out as some sort of combination between Rico Suave, James Bond, and Leisure Suit Larry. In one moment of true clarity, I of course did not follow up on this brilliant idea, either because I wanted to save myself the embarassment or I decided I wanted to preserve this brilliantly backwards day. I'll stick it out and say it was the latter of the two.

2 comments:

amandamjorgenson said...

There is a Dairy Queen in Anchorage now??!

sheri said...

Amanda stole my comment.

Booooo!

But seriously.. what's next? a Krispy Kreme?

Post a Comment