A Slice of Fried Gold

Wednesday is the best day of the week

Wednesday, June 6, 2007
I know this contrasts greatly with my previous post discussing how much I love the weekend (which I do assuredly), Wednesday is consistently my favorite day of the week. Oh Wednesday, let me count the reasons for why I love you.
  • Wednesdays feel as if they are the perfect equilibrium between the beginning of the week and the end of the week, which I suppose makes sense because they are in fact the middle, however they always seem to go by faster and overall be better days.
  • During TV season, it is the home of Lost (or was as next year it's going to be on Tuesdays).
  • Wednesday IS new comic day. That is a glorious reason, and I love my new comics. For a super duper nerd like myself, that makes it an "A" day already. However, due to the fluctuation in the release schedule, even with my passion for it, it is not my favorite Wednesday happening.
  • The best and most consistent reason - Trivia Night.

Most every week, my team and myself go play Trivia at Hooters. Now you're probably going say, "Hooters? Trivia? Something there doesn't fit together." Sure, inherently you'd think they do not make sense together, but after being asked to play by a group of six friends the very first time, I've been addicted. Every bar/restaurant should have trivia. As a lifelong purveyor of useless knowledge, it only makes sense. But at the same time, in the middle of a long hard week of work, what is better than kicking back with some friends and just having a good time? Absolutely nothing, and that is the entire truth of the matter.

For the past year and a half plus, we've had an eclectic group of trivia players, all forming into one overarching team name: Drunken Cowboys. This is ironical that I am one of the most consistent team members, considering quite often I am not drunken while playing (well...sometimes), and I hate country music. This makes the whole team name very strange for me, but you know, you don't mess with tradition. No less, it is a blast, and even though we've only won once ($245!! Yes!) we keep on going just because its fun and its a great thrill of competition. Plus, you meet cool people and its a great way of doing something different, as no two experiences are ever the same. I am an unabashed fan of trivia night.

Tonight was no different. We had our traditional core of Colver and myself, with the addition of Matt and Michael (Lloyd? Mike? What to call him?). Anyways, so we had a four man strong team, which is a great start. Plus, we were on fire, getting the first 8 questions right. Here is the layout for those who are not familiar with Trivia Night (which is likely all of you). Each round (there are 3) goes like this...first through fifth questions worth ten points, sixth question is double points, seventh through eleventh worth ten, last question you bet off of how many points you have going into it. Each question (besides #6 and #12) you can put down two answers, and the second answer is worth five points. Going into the last question of the first round, we were at 105 points, down 5 from the leaders...the dreaded Rub. This team is full of experienced players...aka they each have 20 to 30 years on us. Seeing that they wagered, we did something that was horribly out of character for us. We bet. We NEVER...EVER...bet on the last question. All or nothing, that may as well be our motto. However, this time it was smart, as we got it wrong and only lost 15 points, staying in mathematical contention after the first round. For those wondering, the question was "what are the three most populous cities in South America?" and the answers were "Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, and Buenos Aires." We put the latter two, but instead of Sao Paulo, we had Santiago. Sad panda.

No less, we continued to do well but ultimately lost. Colver got deep into the Matrix (aka he was wearing my sunglasses and was being ridiculous), Matt and him got intensely into discussing Commando and the relation of Arnold's name in it to Colver's current status (his name was John Matrix), and Lloyd and I started blowing obvious questions. We are both huge Beastie Boys fans, and we got this question wrong - "What is the name of the record label the Beastie Boys started?" CROWN ROYAL! CROWN ROYAL! Yet we both got it wrong. I subjected my Mom to a good 6 to 8 years of listening to MCA, Mike D, and Adrock, and it was all for naught. How does this happen? No less, there is some good news...the team that won (that wasn't Rub) ended up getting the absolutely final question wrong, meaning the money carries over to next week. That means next week is going to be $500+!!! Alright, now that is something I can get behind.

So that's a play by play on tonights Trivia, which went poorly but was still oh so worth it. I paid $13, had an amazing time for over two and a half hours, got to hang out with great friends, and continue developing my reservoir of useless knowledge. Anyways, I shall leave this post with a team picture, featuring the Drunken Cowboys and our eternal extra team member - the one, the only, Alex.

The Drunken Cowboys plus Alex...left to right...me, Lloyd, Alex, Matt, Colver

4 comments:

amandamjorgenson said...

when are you going to stop writing about colver and start writing about me?

can i make myself sound more like a jerk?

sheri said...

i ditto amanda.

for reals.

and.. maybe if some cool people would come down HERE and do trivia night... they'd win more.. because they'd have me.. and hey.. amanda too!

Anonymous said...

You might even ask your MOM to help at triva, she's not HALF bad!!

Matt Dimassi said...

John Matrix is the shit. Can we be in the matrix this Wed night too?...Oh shit I am coaching my little sister's soccer team now on wednesday's, I can no longer go. Super sad panda.

Post a Comment