A Slice of Fried Gold

Dreams and Aspirations

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I love asking this question: "If you could be better at one thing, what would it be?" I love asking it because you always get some interesting answers, and to segway into my selfish ulterior motive, which is answering it myself. I love answering it, because I would give anything to be better at art/penciling. If I could do one thing for a living, I think it would have to be producing my own comic. I've slowly reduced it to "work in the comic industry" to match talent to aspirations, effectively living a phrase my coworker jokingly said the other day: "If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!" That is what I essentially did, but ultimately I know I would absolutely astonishingly love it to be able to produce a decent comic. I figure I have the chops to write one and the ideas from years upon years of reading to come up with a decent concept, but I draw like a semi-talented sixth grader. On an off day. A really off day. I never really thought I would have a chance to get any better, as I've been meaning to take art classes since I got back but I just haven't gotten to it because of a combination of laziness and the lack of desire to share my artwork with others.

That is, until now. Scott McCloud, who almost none of you are likely to know, created a book series all about the creation of comics and how to better conceptualize the process. The first book was called Understanding Comics, the second being Reinventing Comics, and the third was called Making Comics. He will be visiting the far greater Northwest in his Making Comics 50 State Tour, and he will be brought up here by my favorite comic store and former employer Bosco's. He will be doing a five hour class on Saturday that will be limited to 25 people, and then on Sunday he will be visiting and signing at Bosco's and lecturing at Loussac Library. I will likely miss the signing at Bosco's, but the other two I will be attending, and I am especially excited about taking the workshop.

Sure it will not make me any better at art, but this is an extremely positive first step in terms of being able to accomplish an actual dream. Being able to create actual narrative in comic form is a gigantic step in the right direction, and after finding out today I nearly jumped up and down out of excitement. No less, no golf for me this weekend as I had planned on, but I do get the chance to have an awesome time learning to do something I love better than I could before. I really cannot wait, and I continue to be surprised about how many cool things are coming up here. I just need to know where to look I guess. This class could lead to all kinds of things, such as classes at UAA in art or even just a smaller place like Blaine's Art Supplies. I don't really care, I'm just excited about the opportunity. See, they weren't lying. Learning IS fun and fundamental.


0 comments:

Post a Comment