A Slice of Fried Gold

I'm a very bad man

Monday, June 11, 2007
So as I foolishly announced in a previous post, I have a two day rule. Every two days I must post, whether it is something remotely interesting or sheerly a recap of foods I had eaten in the previous day that began with the letter Q. The sad thing was, I had plenty of things to write about! Yet I was very easily distracted, as it was by far the nicest day of the summer so far up here in the good ol' AK, with not a cloud in the sky and the sun pouring down. I came out of the weekend burnt and happy about it. About time! No less, this post will catch you all, my faithful readers, up to what happened this weekend as it was a very busy one! I may actually do a separate post for one of said happenings because it inspired a number of emotions in me and I would not mind delving into this event.

First off, I should announce this...regardless of the efforts of the fans of the show, Veronica Mars was officially cancelled today. Sad panda...hopefully Dawn Ostroff enjoys my letter and the Mars Bars I sent. I'm sure she will! Great effort by the fans, it was great to see a real grassroots campaign get going like that.

Second off, word to the wise. If you are incompetent at throwing a frisbee golf disc straight...avoid Kincaid's frisbee golf course like the plague. For those that have a lot of curve in your throws and routinely say a little prayer after the release, this is not the place for you. My hands, legs, face, arms, and soul learned all about that, as the bane of my existence that are devil's thorns scratched the living hell of me. Not only that, but even to people who have played it before (i.e. Colver) you can get lost on the course. Generally I have a rule of thumb stating that "if you need a map when playing a game, this is a game you should not be playing." Except with Scavenger Hunts. There are no rules to Scavenger Hunts, besides "have fun" and "just win, baby." I love Scavenger Hunts. No less, back on point, I think before going back to "hell" as I have so affectionately named Kincaid, I want to develop the ability to throw straight and get a map. Yay summer goals! The good news is, Colver and I both found discs after losing one each in the previous few weeks. Back to even I say.

Yesterday I went to the opening game of the season for the Anchorage Glacier Pilots (as well as going on a bike ride on the Coastal Trail...which was gorgeous...yesterday was a good day) and it was a good time, besides the good guys losing to the California Bears and apparently copying the Seattle Mariners's mascot. It is always pretty cool going to games in the Alaska Baseball League, as so many good major leaguers have come up here and played for a summer, like Mark McGwire when he weighed 150 pounds of muscle less and current young star Jered Weaver of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. That name just rolls off the tongue doesn't it? No less, the field is about two blocks from my place so I think I'm going to have to make myself a regular at games. They're inexpensive and worst case scenario you get to see some decent baseball and work on your tan. Can't go wrong there!

Not only did I get to watch baseball, tonight I had a softball game. It was great fun, as team GCI came out victorious over the Wrecking Crew 17-10. I didn't play the first two innings (I've been a bum and skipped two of the last three games) but I ended up playing the last three at one of my favorite positions...second base. I recorded a few outs and nearly turned two a number of times, and I went 2 for 2 with two doubles. So now on the season I'm 4 for 5 with 3 doubles and 2 rbi's. Not doing so bad. I'm feeling good now, I'm going to stop being a bum and not skip any more games. No less, my team is 4 and 1 now, and we're really on a roll. Can't wait for our next game on Monday!!

Lastly, before my next post of the evening that is, I have a couple of recommendations to make.

I purchased Circa Survive's new album On Letting Go on Friday, and I have to admit...it has me hooked. After seeing them in Tempe, Arizona a couple years back, I definitely respected them, but after listening to their new album a few times I really am starting to dig them recorded as well. They feature one of the best and most interesting lead singers in rock music today, as Anthony Green is pretty much a genius in his alternately scratchy and gorgeous delivery. The man can really belt it out, but in a non-traditional way. I wholeheartedly recommend this album, that is if you can keep an open mind. Except to you Sheri. They do not sound like the Wrens or Smoosh or anything else you like, so this recommendation goes out to everyone. But Sheri.

Besides the CD, I recommend Netflixing or renting the Sci-Fi channel original mini-series The Lost Room. It stars Peter Krause. I mean come on...of course it is going to be good. It's Casey McCall from Sports Night! He's pretty much the man! He also was on Six Feet Under, if you were into that sort of thing (I'm sure I would be into it...if I ever could get my hands on a copy...I need to talk to an HBO rep). No less, The Lost Room is a bizarre little show about a man who inadvertently gets a hotel room key that takes him into a room that may or may not really exist and that can take him anywhere instantly if he just thinks it. It has a very dense plot involving a lot of characters and some really interesting ideas and concepts. It definitely isn't your run of the mill TV mini-series (or god forbid, you run of the mill average Sci-Fi mini-series...they can make some real crap...yet they also made this and Battlestar Galactica...how does that happen), and should be caught by anyone that likes to go a little off the beaten path. No less, there are your recs, and we're now back on schedule. Stay tuned for your regularly scheduled postings!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Todd has an amazing knack at losing frolf discs. In two weeks he lost two drivers and almost lost a third today, pretty uncanny. We have been discovering some pretty cool courses around us. One is way intense, too bad it is all the way up in Nopo(northportland) and is a 20 minute drive with no traffic, or an hour with traffic. Did I mention I hate traffic.

Post a Comment