A Slice of Fried Gold

The Weekend Edition

Monday, June 15, 2009

If there is no rest for the wicked, then it's official - I'm not that wicked. I spent the entire weekend being a lazy bum, which I've discovered is not my favorite way to spend it to be honest. A lot of my friends were occupied with other things or were "planning their financial future" (I'm looking at you Joanne), so I was left to my own devices. This was kind of lame in the fact I didn't do that much, but kind of nice in that I did a lot of things I had been meaning to do. Such as...

  • Batting practice at the cage with Joanne (I need to not be terrible at softball!)
  • Dinner at La Mex with Jo-Town (La Mex sucks, just like most Alaskan mexican joints)
  • Finally catching up on my epic comic stack (this has been a month in the making, after returning my Europe I had a crazy stack)
  • Coffee with sister
  • Posting the rest of my Europe pics to Facebook
  • Finally starting my Eurotrip blogs (see below for England, the first post)
  • Being robbed of a bad movie night by an absolutely horrific driver who side swiped my friend Brian and then told the cop Brian hit her
  • Going to see Crank: High Voltage instead (see below for mini-review)
  • Finally watching Guy Ritchie's latest RocknRolla on Blu Ray (short review: return to form by Ritchie, convinced that Toby Kebbell from the cast has the chops to be a star)
  • Hiking with Brian, which led to getting poured on for half of it and getting my leg murdered during the other section (still fun!)
  • Softball practice, which led to the death of my other leg
  • Watching the close of one of the more poorly played NBA Finals of recent memory

This poster really captures the movie's feel. Seriously.


I thought about writing up a full review for Crank: High Voltage but I realized that would be a ridiculous thing to do. There are only a few things that need to be said about this movie.

A) As entertaining as the first movie was, this one actually amps up the fun and ridiculousness, and I once again left the theater buzzed from sheer entertainment (only rivaled by the first Crank in that regard)
B) One of the all-time greatest action movies in terms of audacity and entertainment
C) Maybe one of the best guy movies ever (Colver and I raved about it, Lorna seemed confused by our statements)
D) Not a good movie by any means. Definitely a great movie though. Yes, that makes no sense, unless you watch the movie.
E) Jason Statham is the man, and I'm convinced he's the best action star alive today.

So yeah, I freaking loved this movie. It combined perfectly with the Bear Tooth experience, as drinking beer and being able to essentially shout out your feelings during the movie adds to the experience. All in all, I have to say I can't wait for Crank 3, cause god only knows that is happening. Get excited America!

0 comments:

Post a Comment