A Slice of Fried Gold

Best of 2007 (TV Edition)

Wednesday, January 2, 2008
Alright, back to the best of 2007 (about time as we are now two days into the new year). I'm going to make this one short and sweet because I need to be off to the gym, but everyone knows I love TV. I think this is the best time ever for TV, and I'm not even watching a bunch of shows that are considered to be top rate right now as well. So below are my top 12 (!!) favorite shows that broadcasted in 2007. Enjoy!

Breakdown by Network: 2 for Showtime, NBC, CW, and ABC, 1 for Sci-Fi, HBO, Discovery, and Fox.

1. Battlestar Galactica (Sci-Fi)

I am a complete and absolute Battlestar Galactica freak. Even though it only had 11 episodes this season, those 11 were so absolutely uniformly superb that no other show could fit here. I won't go on too much about this because everything about this show is the best on TV, but I'd like to point that Aaron Douglas (Chief Tyrol), Michael Hogan (Exec. Officer Saul Tigh), and Jamie Bamber (Lee Adama) really took the leap this year, transcending limitations earlier in the series to really set themselves apart. In addition, the season finale was the single greatest hour of television I've ever seen.

No fooling. Check this show out.

2. Dexter (Showtime)

Oh Dexter. How sad for you that I am an absolute Bstar nutcase...otherwise you'd be a clear cut number one. Dexter does have one thing going for it that no one else does, and that is the greatest character/performance on TV today: Michael C. Hall as Dexter.

With season 1 being so incredible and the plot line so riveting, I didn't see how it was possible that they could top it. Season 2 took a completely obvious plot thread (how I didn't see it, I have no idea) and ran with it, completely and utterly topping the first season in all regards. Darkly hilarious, wickedly clever, and occasionally tragic. Dexter set itself apart this year.

3. Lost (ABC)

Even more amazing than Dexter being displaced as number one? Perpetual TV giant Lost falling down to number 3 on my list. Now this has absolutely nothing to do with its failings, as there were very few in season 3 (and the season finale of the third season fits snugly against the third season finale of Bstar as the second best episode of anything this year), but it was just a highly competitive field this season.

Lost was remarkably good, with some people calling it an incredible comeback from the up and down and very hatch oriented second season. There were huge surprises, terribly sad deaths, and plenty of mystery to be witnessed by all in this season. Plus, they did a fantastic job of setting the two (arguably) main characters, Jack and Locke, back up as what they were in Season 1: fierce leaders and certified badasses. Plus the show gets bonus points for hiring my favorite comic writer as a staff writer (Brian K. Vaughan).

Better yet? Season 4 looks to be even better...and it starts in less than a month.

4. Chuck (NBC)

5. 30 Rock (NBC)

6. Weeds (Showtime)

7. Veronica Mars (CW)

8. Reaper (CW)

9. Prison Break (Fox)

10. Pushing Daisies (ABC)

11. Planet Earth (Discovery)

12. Flight of the Conchords (HBO)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When are we getting back to Battle Star? Soon - I hope?

Anonymous said...

I miss Ronnie Mars!!

Post a Comment