A Slice of Fried Gold

Holy crap.

Thursday, July 17, 2008


As many will know, I'm a huge, huge fan of comics. Have been since pretty much as long as I can remember (excluding a 3 to 4 year period where I stopped reading entirely) and I'm rather encyclopedic with my knowledge. I love the medium absolutely, and for the general populace, Watchmen remains as the single greatest creation the comic form has made. Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons created a deconstructionist view of superhero comics that both tore apart the medium and rebuilt it stronger than ever.

Or so they say.

I'm a fan of the series. Don't get me wrong, just like I'm a fan of Dark Knight Returns. But a certain level of "is this overrated?" constantly creeped into my head while reading these two books. I very much enjoyed Watchmen but I had to ask - is this really the best the medium has produced? Of course the last time I read it must have been 5 or 6 years ago (if not more) and perhaps my less developed teen mind couldn't wrap itself around the complexities the alternately straightforward comic/dense prose present. I'd say it's still one of my top 20 all time comic stories, but when most others put it at number one with a bullet, I scoff a tad.

However, the trailer for Zack Snyder's (300) adaptation of it is out, and good god...it's spine tinglingly delicious. Maybe it's because the focuses are clearly Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach (my two favorite characters) within the trailer, but I don't know. It rocks hard. Watching it gave me goosebumps. I feel as if I may have to dust off my old copy this weekend and try to figure out what I missed, because clearly Snyder is aware of it and wants to rub my nose in it.

Well bring it on Zack.

Check out the new trailer here. It's worth it. Or you can go see the Dark Knight as it is supposedly playing before hand. I hear that may be a good movie or something.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Uh, that trailer left me pretty blown away. The effects look too good to be true! I really can't put my thoughts into words. I mean ffs it even made the Billy Corgan song work.

Katie said...

That post was by Erik btw.

Anonymous said...

wait.. wasn't that a smashing pumpkins song? o.O

Anonymous said...

damn. I feel like an idiot now.

:P

Post a Comment