A Slice of Fried Gold

At the Coffee Shop

Saturday, December 19, 2009
I've always spent way too much time at coffee shops. It started in college really. I would go to shops in Moscow, Idaho to do all of my school work because for some reason "it helped me concentrate." That's possible, but it probably had more to do with the fact I like being amongst people and there are a lot more cute girls in coffee shops than there are in my apartment (why can't the opposite be true?).

No less, now that I live in Anchorage, I frequent the only real acceptable coffee shop answer - Kaladi Brothers. Over the years, I've had a lot of interesting interactions with baristas but the one today really pretty much killed me.

I hand the girl working the register my card to pay and she looks at it closely.

Her: "David...L...Harper the Second. I know you."
Me: "Do you?"
Her: "Do you go to UAA?"
Me: "Nope."
Her: "Did you go to Kenai High School?"
Me: "No."
Her: "I used to work at Starbucks for a long time...did you used to go there?"
Me: "Umm...nope."
Her: "TGI Fridays?"
Me: "Absolutely not."
Her: "Weird. I know you."
Me: "Well...there are a lot of David Harper's out there, although I must admit you do seem familiar to me as well."
Her: "I know! Wait...were you ever in trouble as an adolescent?"

That one ended it. I started laughing really hard, said no, and just walked away because the transaction was closed. Bizarre but awesome. Baristas are weird.

0 comments:

Post a Comment