A Slice of Fried Gold

My Debut in Print

Friday, December 18, 2009

While my writing has been in print before it has never really been in something widespread. Not that I write for some sort of illustrious word of mouth fanzine or something like that, but in a much lamer way - like writing a story in a school fiction collection. Either that or my name has been associated as the center of another person's piece, like when my friend Ryan Atkins used me as the focus in his article about Fantasy sports place in college. From time to time I've been quoted as well, but I'd never written anything front to back that was ran.

Until today.

Sort of.

The Anchorage Daily News ran my preview of Saturday's Ludacris concert on the front page of their Play section today. It was a kind of nerve wracking experience and a thrill to see my name there, and perhaps one I'll try again eventually. While it was a bit disappointing that the version that I really loved didn't see the light of day, I understand why that version didn't. It made me realize how informal and unpolished my writing style is. Not only that, but it made me realize how much I liked writing in an informal and unpolished manner.

But as a firm believer in the idea that you should try everything once, I have tried this now. Thanks to Spencer Shroyer for giving me the opportunity to do so. I very much enjoyed the experience and hope to do it again to further enhance my writing skills. Hopefully next time it's about something I know more about than Luda (whom I discovered I actually like quite a bit while researching).

Make sure to check out my debut article, and spread the word of my glory. Or not.

1 comments:

Bobbie said...

Awesome, David! I am reading now. I will save the Play for Mom.

Post a Comment