A Slice of Fried Gold

The Pursuit of Knowledge

Sunday, September 14, 2008

One of my biggest pet peeves are people who claim to know things that they really don't. When people put on a front that indicates that they know far more than they actually do. It bugs the living crap out of me.

Strangely, I recently realized I do this. Not only do I do this, but I do this near constantly. It's almost a perpetual state of being for me - the representation of myself in a way that indicates I know a good amount, but really when you get down to it, I don't think I know that much. In a way, my addiction to trivia is the perfect example of this. Trivia really isn't anything besides very superficial knowledge, it's a collection of glossy facts taken from a far bigger picture.

So really, when you get down to it I know a lot about the trivia behind things. It allows me to talk about it (sometimes at great lengths) but doesn't exactly allow me to really get down to the details.

One of the topics I've come to realize I'm by far the most notorious with this on is when I'm talking about the political world. Because of this realization, I've decided I'm not going to talk about anything related to that until I get a far better grasp on it. Really get into the details and get in depth, particularly when it comes to the Presidential race.

This may come as no surprise to most of you, but I think quite often I like taking the less popular point of view simply because it provides me the opportunity to argue. I love debating, and taking the less popular angle always provides me with the opportunity.

So here I am at the beginning of a journey in the pursuit of knowledge. I'm calling it a restart to my knowledge base and really hope that at the end of it I can figure out which way I'll go on November 4th, and this time it will be based off serious facts and less off conjecture and my beloved trivia. We'll see where I go from there, but this seems like a good starting point in really developing my knowledge base.

0 comments:

Post a Comment