A Slice of Fried Gold

The Weekend Edition

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ahhhhhhhh. Thanksgiving weekend, how I love you. Sure, at the end of the weekend I'm probably ten pounds heavier than before, but it was so worth it. Plus, any weekend where I get an additional two days off are very well appreciated. So what happened that made it particularly quality?

  • Making two delicious meals for my parents (salmon cakes plus David's club scramble = crazy delicious)
  • Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends
  • Black Friday mania!
  • Checking out Baz Luhrmann's Australia (good, not great so disappointing to a degree, but still a worthy movie to check out)
  • Staying up for twenty hours on Friday (crazy tired)
  • Finishing another book (nearing 52!)
  • Enjoying the heck out of Bolt
  • Out on the town with Amy, Jason, Nate, Nick and more
  • Watching the Pats get supergatored by the Steelers at the Peanut Farm with Jason
  • Supergator, quite possibly the best bad movie ever
  • Thanksgiving the sequel with Amy, Arianna, and more (two Thanksgivings? hell yes!)
So it was a great weekend and one that as packed to the gills with fun, family, friends, and food. All of the best f's really. Thanksgiving weekend is traditionally one of my favorites of the year because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. While I love the tomfoolery and fun of Halloween and enjoy the family, fun, food, and presents of Christmas, the purity and the good will of Thanksgiving is really hard to beat.

Even better than that this year is the fact that I not only had one Thanksgiving (filled with incredible green bean casserole, delicious mashed potatoes and gravy, and oh so glorious pie), but a second awesome Thanksgiving after the initial one. Arianna (Amy's roommate) had to work on Thanksgiving and came up with a plan to put on a magnificent dinner Sunday night, and I managed to get on the guest list. The meal came complete with all the turkey day standards, but with the addition of the most delectable candied yams ever. Arianna's grandma's special recipe, and apparently it's pretty much magic.

Of course, there is the whole "oh man, I need a nap right now" thing, and the whole "I'm fairly certain my stomach is splitting in half" thing, and the whole "why don't my pants fit anymore?" thing. But that's a small price to pay for pure unadultered food joy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment