A Slice of Fried Gold

Failure to Count

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I'm working on this major project right now where I had to get a variety of codes set up for our front lines to be able to offer the product to customers, proof copy and advertisements that were being put out, design a coupon as a handout at point of sale, deal with processes for getting the customer from point A to point B and ending up with their services, and getting every detail out to the front lines without generating a ton of questions.

And I did it.

No problem.

I mean, come on. I've got skills, son (as per usual, saying this exactly like Martin Lawrence in my head).

My opposite number with the business my company is working with calls me up after the project is ready to launch asking how many total coupons I delivered to him. I printed 1,012 two part carbonless coupons, so I said it's easy, I'll count mine and let him know how many I have - that will give him his number.

Except I forgot one major detail.

I suck at count.

It's kind of unbelievable that I can do nearly everything that is brought to my desk, but when presented with the simple concept of counting coupons, I get pretty much dominated. I blame the fact I nearly constantly am thinking of other things, which is why I'm really good at multitasking, but a great reason for why I'm terrible at counting. No less, I lost count roughly 76 times (roughly because I lost count of how many times I lost count) and it took me way too long, until I finally estimated the number as 212 and called the guy back.

Estimation is way easier than counting. Underrated as well, if you ask me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment