A Slice of Fried Gold

The Weekend Edition

Sunday, October 26, 2008

I've now completed what may be one of the weirdest weekends of my life.

Sure, it was super fun, but man, incredibly weird. Of course, they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and in that case, I feel like I'm reaching near Herculean levels of strength. So what exactly happened?


  • Rock Band 2 and How I Met Your Mother with Jason while pre funking
  • Going out on the town with Jason, Hannah, and the bachelorette/bachelor party
  • Snow City with Hannah
  • Watching Amelie
  • UFC 90 - Go Anderson Silva, but seriously, that was kind of a crappy UFC
  • Nick's birthday party - beer pong, Rock Band, and cool people? Not too bad
  • The Anchor with Colver and Lorna
  • (Insert weirdest possible bar/after bar scenario humanly imaginable)
  • Lunch with Colver and Lorna to recap
  • Hanging out with Claire at Kaladi's and starting the People of Sparks
  • Finishing Amelie and watching Ratatouille (for the billionth time) to cap off a very French weekend

So I'm not going to go into details as to what the "Insert" area is because frankly, this is a very G rated blog, but I can tell you one thing, there are some things I never imagined I'd see/be at, and what I inadvertently fell into would probably be at the tip top of the list. The good news is I had fun, survived, and was not personally responsible for any of the aforementioned sketchness. Plus, I got a killer story out of it. One that was so legendary that I immediately jotted down notes about it upon my return home. That's how you know it's good.


There is no real bad news about it. I stayed out of trouble and really beared witness to what may or may not be the seedy suburbian underworld of all that is Anchorage. In this regard, I was like the Marvel Comics character the Watcher. I was there to see, but not to intervene. There are just some things you wish you could unsee, as I'm sure good ol' Uatu would surely agree with me on.


This is the perfect spot to interject with the tiniest morsel from the story - a guy on the streets of Anchorage actually tried to intimidate me by calling me a dork (I was wearing glasses - very well received glasses, but apparently that's all it takes to be a dork). Never in my wildest dreams did I envision a time where an adult would actually call me a dork, but you know what, last night was a night of firsts. Also, he's right. I am totally a dork. I just compared myself to Uatu the Watcher in the previous paragraph. That dude had me pegged.

0 comments:

Post a Comment