A Slice of Fried Gold

Favorite Albums of 2008 - Part 2

Saturday, December 27, 2008


Oh music. How you fluctuate. While these currently stand as my favorite, as Erik pointed out on the last post, odds are it will fluctuate a lot between now and whenever I think about my favorite albums from this year again. Based off listening to new albums and listening to other albums a few more times, half of this entire list could turn over over the next few months. Just to forewarn you.

Now, for the moment you've all been waiting for...my top 20 albums of 2008 (See here for albums 21 through 30)!

1. Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground - Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground
2. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
3. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
4. Anathallo - Canopy Glow
5. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
6. Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue
7. Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell
8. Frightened Rabbit - the Midnight Organ Fight
9. Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
10. Portishead - Third
11. Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
12. Albert Hammond Jr. - Como te Llama?
13. Kanye West - 808's and Heartbreaks
14. Jamie Lidell - Jim
15. The Week That Was - The Week That Was
16. She & Him - Volume One
17. Dr. Dog - Fate
18. Hot Chip - Made in the Dark
19. The Walkmen - You & Me
20. Santogold - Santogold

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Kanye album is really good stuff. Maybe given time it would break into my top 25. I completely forgot Kay Kay was 08 and not 07, that would have fallen into the 20-25 range most likely. I also haven't listened to Santogold, Dr. Dog, Jaime Lidel, Frightened Rabbit or Jenny Lewis more than twice. I've never listened to She and Him, The Week That Was(cannot find this anywhere), Albert Hammond Jr., or Sigur Ros(just got this, dont know why it took so long as I love them). So I'm excited to have some stuff to get!

I totally just bought a record player too. Found a bunch of sweet vinyl at goodwill and a local shop. Some Stealy Dan, Pink Floyd, Interpol and David Bowie are the highlights so far. I got a copy of Remain in the Light by Talking Heads coming my way via ebay, and the local record store guy ordered me a copy of Person Pitch!! Vinyl is really fun, I'm enjoying the art and the feel as well as the clear difference in sound. I really want to say that some stuff sounds better on Vinyl and really quite different. The Wish You Were Here album by Pink Floyd sounds really amazing on vinly. The best part is, the turntable has a usb port that you can use to turn the records into mp3s! It is pretty fun and surprisingly cheap, I'd reccomend it as an alternative to digital every now and then. Yes, I'm a total bandwagoneer, but it really is cool.

Anonymous said...

I also completely forgot about the album swimming by the French Kicks, it would be in the top 25 also.

Post a Comment