A Slice of Fried Gold

Having My Cake and Eating It Too

Tuesday, March 18, 2008


Given my recent decision that I was going to go to the Sasquatch Music Festival, it seemingly automatically exempted me from attending the Emerald City Comicon. It was a tough decision, and one I was 50/50 on until Erik decided he'd go to Sasquatch. Then I simply had to go. Given that they were within weeks of each other and both required me flying, they appeared on the surface to be mutually exclusive events. Until a question popped into my head: Why? Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Why can't I go to both?

So I looked into it, and there are a number of things working in this ideas favor. First off, the event is only Saturday and Sunday and only lasts from 10 am til 6 pm the first day and til 5 pm the second day. Second off, it is only $25 for tickets to both days. Thirdly, a flight down to Seattle is significantly cheaper than Portland, and I could pick one up for a great price right now. I wouldn't have to miss any work, I could leave after work on Friday and get back late Sunday night, and I know people in Seattle I could possibly stay with (hey friends!).

In theory, this is a great plan. Let's see how it works out. Of course, I'll break down why I want to go real quick by just listing off some of the amazing creators I'd get to meet, plus a couple special guests.
  • Adam Baldwin (Jayne from Firefly/Serenity)
  • Jamie Bamber (Apollo from Battlestar Galactica)
  • Ed Brubaker (writer of Captain America, Criminal, Iron Fist, and Daredevil)
  • Jim Cheung (flat out one of the best artists in the industry right now)
  • Dan Didio (Editor of DC, just so I could punch him in his stupid face)
  • Gabe and Tycho (Writer and Artist of webcomic supreme Penny Arcade)
  • Pia Guerra (Artist of Y the Last Man, also second favorite artist ever)
  • Robert Kirkman (Writer of The Walking Dead, Invincible, and Marvel Zombies)
  • Bryan Lee O'Malley (Writer/Artist of Scott Pilgrim - the coolest series in the world)
  • Eric Powell (Writer/Artist of The Goon)
  • Tim Sale (Artist of Batman: The Long Halloween and Superman: For All Seasons)
  • Bill Willingham (Writer of Fables - arguably the best book in print right now)
That doesn't include such luminaries as Bendis, JMS, Matt Wagner, Arthur Suydam, Greg Rucka (!!), Oeming, and Darick Robertson, and there are plenty more being added. My hope is my boy BKV is added to the fray, but I'm not holding out hope.

So yeah, who knows, maybe I'll have my cake and eat it too. One way or another audience, if you had any questions about what I am, this has to confirm it: I'm a pretty big dork. That's cool with me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Raechelle said...

You are going to be very tired that Monday. I guarantee it.

What about waffles?

David Harper said...

But it'd be so worth it!

And thanks for the hug monitor de lcd guy...

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo!
Good decision.

Post a Comment