A Slice of Fried Gold

Y at Last

Friday, March 28, 2008

After a long, long, long wait, my Y the Last Man trades finally arrived today. I know, I know, this is another post about Y the Last Man. You'd think they would have stopped when the series ended, but of course not. If you've learned nothing about me, it's that I can go on and on about anything, and to me, most everything else is less interesting than Y the Last Man.

So the especially cool thing about these trades, as I already have bought the entire series in trade and have a lot of the individual issues as well, is that they each come with a special plate on the inside.

This plate, as you can see to the right, is a new piece of art that series artist and co-creator Pia Guerra designed specifically for this. These trades were part of a big event called "Y the Last Party," an event commemorating the release of the last issue and attended by keynote speaker Joss Whedon, Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, and a bunch of other top notch creators, plus the guests of honor - Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra.

Back to the point, these special "Y the Last Party" plates are only attainable through this event, and all proceeds go to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund which helps down on their luck and aspiring comic creators get their start and dedicates its existence to fighting for creators rights. So not only did I get a great deal, picking up the trades of my dearly loved Y AND getting the autographs of my favorite creators AND getting an original piece of art starring my favorite characters (rollerskating no less), but I also helped a worthy cause. On a sadder note, I did not receive the autograph/art piece for books 2or 8, but I'm sure the CBLDF will hook me up shortly, so I'm not too worried.

Money well spent I say, and I'm ridiculously excited to finally get it. I've been waiting for three things for the past few months - this, my Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground vinyl album, and "commissions" I sent to get drawn by Mrs. Guerra herself. Two of the three (the former two) are here, still waiting on the commissions. Hopefully it arrives soon, but if it's anything like the first two, it will be worth the wait.

0 comments:

Post a Comment