A Slice of Fried Gold

The Failed Vegan

Sunday, June 29, 2008

There I was at Moose's Tooth, eating dinner with 7 of my best friends on the planet, four of which who were visiting just for a bit this summer. I order my vegan delight pizza (sauce, pesto, artichoke hearts, olives, and sun dried tomatoes) and immediately dig in as soon as it arrives. Everyone else had been tackling mozzarella cheese sticks with marinara while I looked on with drool coming out of my mouth.

I take a huge bite. I take another. Delicious as always. I share with Erik, who agrees. "Vegan must not be that bad."

Matt turns to me and says "is pesto normally white?"

I hadn't even thought about it. On that pizza, buried under sauce and pesto...was cheese.

I lost.

Shortly thereafter Amy showed up, right as I was texting her, but after 28 days as a vegan, I went down. Accidentally of course, but I lost no less.

Amy is the vegan champion. She is the Queen Vegan, and I will forever look upon her as the better vegan. Of course I am also convinced that she paid off the waitress at Moose's Tooth, but that is neither here nor there. It was a fun month, I may even do a few weeks of it at a time from time to time, but I lost no less. Of course, really, I won, as I followed up my loss with downing two slices of greek gyro, one of spicy pepperoni, and two pieces of mozzarella cheese bread.

And good god...it was glorious.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lesson learned is perserverance, which you clearlly demonstrated. Well done, the main point is you could have finished, it was only by an accident you lost! Well done.

Post a Comment