A Slice of Fried Gold

Wanted

Saturday, June 28, 2008


As you can see below, I'm a pretty big fan of Wall-E. Of course, that's to be expected. It's Pixar, it's Lasseter, it's Andrew Stanton, it's Thomas Newman. Those names are all pretty much solid gold. What was a bit surprising was how a comic book based action flick that came out this weekend (and one that has been a pinch overshadowed) ended up being one of the most entertaining movies I've seen recently.

Wanted came out and I was a bit skeptical. I was a big fan of the comic (look for the character named JG Millar - after creators JG Jones and Mark Millar - at the end) but the previews left something to be desired. Like an absolutely brutal, counter culture storyline. Or less cliches. Or more awesomeness than simply curving bullets. Needless to say, my expectations were grounded going in.

What you get may not be the comic, but it is a brutal and extremely entertaining action flick that still maintains it's counter culture flair, however choosing to base it in a more realistic landscape (i.e. instead of super villains running the world, it's a covert organization based out of a textile mill...because that also makes sense). Sure the supporting cast were not especially developed and the movie tends to dip into a rather deep pool of ridiculousness, but good god - I was entertained! I was grinning the whole time, repeating to Kim (who went with me) "man, this is badass."

Because it was.

Go in looking to have a good time, and you likely will. This movie is full to the brim with grade A violence and top notch one liners all over the place. It may not have been exactly like the comic, but I can't say that it didn't capture the spirit of it fairly well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment