A Slice of Fried Gold

Favorite Songs

Tuesday, June 24, 2008


This week on Sheri and I's favorite things breakdown we have favorite songs and this will be our last week of this. I have to first apologize as for the first time I am late on posting this. I was rather tied up last night and it couldn't be avoided.


No less, for the songs list we're doing a special breakdown and that is top 20 songs but put together in a mixtape format so the songs are not necessarily in order of favorite to least favorite, but are in a randomized order to make the album as a whole work better. I'm a big fan of mix cd's and pride myself on being able to put together a quality mix, so this was a particularly fun one for me. I recommend collecting these songs and putting them on to a mix, as I'd wager it would be a particularly good one.


Also, the only other rule is that each band can only have one song on it. No repeat offenders (sorry Spoon!).


See Sheri's list here.

  1. Pete Yorn - For Nancy ('cos it already is) - all time favorite leads it off
  2. the Dandy Warhols - We Used to be Friends - #3 in my top 3
  3. the Shins - Gone for Good
  4. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
  5. Gatsby's American Dream - Recondition, Reprogram, Reactivate
  6. Dire Straits - Walk of Life
  7. Beastie Boys - So What'cha Want
  8. the Killers - All These Things That I've Done
  9. blink-182 - Going Away to College
  10. The Faces - Ooh La La
  11. Spoon - I Summon You
  12. Eels - Last Stop, This Town
  13. Wu Tang Clan - Shame on a N****
  14. The Beatles - Hey Jude
  15. NOFX - Theme from a NOFX Album
  16. Weezer - In the Garage
  17. The Postal Service - The District Sleeps Alone Tonight
  18. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, pt. 1
  19. Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al
  20. Sigur Ros - Olsen Olsen - #2 in my top 3

So there you have it, my all-time favorite songs all in one nice location. On top of that, they're organized for proper flow and mood changes to make sure no section is overly slow or fast and that everything is just right.


I'm going to try and add a project playlist of this top 20 later, but right now the website is being pretty fickle so you'll just have to take it for how it is right now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm liking that Paul Simon.

Unknown said...

15 through 20 really stands out as excellence to me.

Unknown said...

Panda Bear - Bros
Pink Floyd - Shine on you Crazy Diamond (I count all parts as one song)
Talking Heads - This must be the place(naive melody)
Foo Fighters - everlong
Tool - Lateralus
Daft Punk - Robot Rock
Bruce Springsteen - Ghost of Tom Joad
Bob Marley - Is this love
Bjork - Bachelorette
Arcade Fire - keep the car running
Flaming Lips - do you realize
Coldplay - the scientist
LCD Soundsystem - all my friends
Say anything - admit it
Thrice - the abolition of man
gorillaz - white light
incubus - a certain shade of green
NIN - march of the pigs
RATM - calm like a bomb
Kanye west! - diamonds from sierra leone

David Harper said...

A Certain Shade of Green and the Scientist were final cuts, and as much as I'd love to include Bros and All My Friends (because I love them) I had an unsaid rule with myself that I wasn't including really new stuff.

I figure I should give them some time first.

Unknown said...

I like to rush things.

Post a Comment