A Slice of Fried Gold

The Unlikely Comeback

Sunday, August 24, 2008

This isn't going to interest nearly anyone, but I had to write about it because I was extremely excited (so amped I tried to explain it to a not remotely interested Kim). About four weeks ago in my fantasy baseball keeper league I dealt off a lot of my primary players for bigger packages of younger players, hoping I could rebuild around a more balanced squad that had more potential and less centralized talent. After a year lost to injury after injury and following a year of sudden disappointment in the playoffs, I felt as if it was my only possible course of action.

Over twenty games out, about a month to go before the playoffs, and I looked like a non-factor for contention.

Then my pitching staff got it together and Melvin Mora and Mark DeRosa began their impersonations of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

Four weeks later, against all odds I made a hellacious run through the league and made the playoffs on the final day. I was back six games (so I surmised through theoretical, current state math) going into the weekend and the guy I was behind dropped three games in his matchup and I gained 6 in mine. Bada bing, playoffs, here I come!

Of course, I win the right to play reigning league champion and all around powerhouse Sam Erickson, a good friend of mine who got absolutely lucky in beating me last year (either that or he paid off CJ Wilson to make me lose in the playoffs to him). One way or another, it's exciting times in the League of Champions. Let's just hope my team has a few more good weeks left in it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!

Post a Comment