A Slice of Fried Gold

A Bromance brewing

Wednesday, January 7, 2009


So I can explain why I'm writing a blog about MTV's Bromance, a show about Brody Jenner's quest to find a new "bro" out of a group of nine contestants from across the nation. It all started with the worst intentions, I swear.

Last week I was on Facebook chatting with someone when she started talking about how there were a couple new MTV shows starting and she really wanted to watch them, but she was stuck somewhere that did not have cable. Given that situation, did I:

a) offer to record them like a good person
b) apologize and go on conversing
c) watch and give a play by play of everything that was happening, laughing hysterically all the way

Knowing me, of course I chose a combination. I started with c, but I gradually felt bad and chose a. I'm a bastard, but I'm not a monster.

Anyways, something odd happened while watching the show. I knew it was really bad. Don't get me wrong, this show is full of stupid people, melodrama, and ridiculousness. It was like a trainwreck, but in true trainwreck form, you really can't look away. Two weeks in, I'm okay with saying that this show is awesome in an amazingly bad sort of way.

I hate reality television, but I'm in love with MTV's Bromance.

God help me.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Please tell me you still have the second episode recorded!

David Harper said...

You better believe it. Saved it just for you! Prepare for maximum entertainment Amy. It's mantastic. That's right.

Troy Olson said...

I look forward to The Soup on Friday, as they will definitely make fun of Brody and his douchebaggy ways.

(And I'll probably sneak an episode in at some point).

Question -- from watching, how in on the joke is Jenner? Or is it just the producers making fun of all involved?

David Harper said...

The Soup is fantastic. God I love that show.

The funny thing about Bromance isn't necessarily that they make fun of everyone (they do a bit) but the fact that it's hyperserious. It's like a heterosexual life mate version of the Bachelor, except where everything is just ridiculous and there isn't any kissing.

Just a hint - the last episode included a "Broathalon" in which the bros had to participate in a number of events that Brody himself came up with, followed by a fireside sit down chat between Brody and each potential bro. Let's just say it got pretty emotional.

Genius.

Anonymous said...

I was so happy that MTV thought to make such a bromantic show, it brought a little tear to my eye...

David Harper said...

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it (as I also appreciate a nice cup of java, as I'm sitting here currently drinking one).

Anonymous said...

Aaahhh! I just stumbled upon your blog and low and behold, there I am! Well, not entirely me, but a post about me! I like how you kept me anonymous, it almost makes it creepy. Therefore, I will keep this comment anonymous!
BTW, although I thought I would get sucked in to any show that Brody Jenner was a part of, in truth, I can't stand Bromance! It almost physically hurts me to watch it!

David Harper said...

Hello "anonymous," if that is your real name!

I think that's part of the reason it's so awesome. It's so flat out ridiculous, it's incredible. That kind of blows my mind that you aren't watching it and I am. How does that end up happening? Thanks for creating a monster.

Also, in case you aren't, you have to watch Rock of Love Bus. It's the best show that has ever existed.

Troy Olson said...

And don't forget Tool Academy - watched it last night and it's definitely worth a viewing...

Post a Comment