A Slice of Fried Gold

The Weekend Edition

Monday, January 19, 2009

This weekend was pretty much out of control. Between Friday and Saturday, with one evening being a night where I was a tour guide to Anchorage bars and the other being the yearly (and amazing) Great Alaska Beer and Barley Wine Festival, I really don't think I need to drink again for the next few months. My liver is crying "uncle!" right now, and yesterday I felt like I was living in a microwave and was perpetually as tired as I've ever been.

Worth it!

What else happened?

  • Dinner at Club Paris with mom and dad (mouthwateringly fantastic!)
  • Battlestar Galactica premiering (can I use mouthwateringly fantastic again?)
  • David Harper: Alaskan bar tour guide (awesome!)
  • Let the Right One In with my mom
  • Gumbo House for my birthday with my mom, dad, and sister
  • Getting awesome new running shoes for my bday at Skinny Raven
  • Beer and Barley Wine Festival!
  • Random pics and amazing food with Hannah
  • Dance party plus at the Avenue as per usual
  • Snow City in the morning with Jason and Hannah
  • Feeling like death but having a bunch of fun at Chuck E Cheese
  • Watching Tropic Thunder on blu ray whilst trying to not pass out (I fail)
So yeah, it was a total blasty blast of a weekend, to steal a line from the Boss (of the Hannah Ross variety, not that more musical but slightly less awesome knock off of her Bruce Springsteen). What was the highlight?

For the second straight year, I went to the Great Alaska Beer and Barley Wine Festival, and it proceeded to be one of the most fun days around. It was an absolutely genius way to spend my birthday, and was full of great times, great friends (seriously, people were coming out of the woodwork for this thing), tons of beer, and heaps of ridiculousness.

Plus, through the intoxication, somehow everyone realized it was my birthday, so there was that added bonus of cheer and merriment to be shared amongst the group. Multiple times during the night Jason (or Blaze Town as I for some reason insistently refer to him as) and I commented that we wished this happened all the time, because it's always such a blast and everyone has such a good time. Well, I don't want that to happen. I'd be perpetually hungover and my liver would be in terrible shape.

But I do wish there were more events (possibly ones without alcohol) that could seemingly united all of the awesome Alaskans into one place more often. I guess that really proves the power of good beer. It's incentive to become social for those that are anti social and added power for those that are already social. One way or another, the Beer and Barley Wine Festival was once again a great success.

I already can't wait for next year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment