A Slice of Fried Gold

Slices of Fried Gold (Noah and the Whale edition)

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Noah and the Whale...and a very bright yellow umbrella


It is really hard to track down every good album that comes out in a year. I try as hard as I can because I'm addicted to music, but I can't do it. Some people may be able to handle it, but that's just too much for me.

Yet, when the album is already on your iPod and you've never given it a shot, that's pretty damn stupid if you ask me. Granted, as it currently stands I have 14,280 songs on my iPod, but the fact that I have Noah and the Whale's album Peaceful, the World Lays Me Down and have had it for probably 10 months and had never listened to it before this weekend is inexcusable, I say. Because it's good. It's really good actually, reminding me of a more orchestral and adventurous version of Frightened Rabbit, a band whose last album was in my top 10 from last year.

No less, they have a new album/film coming out titled The First Days of Spring which will be mine in a smidge less than half an hour and I'd say this is about as good of a time as any to climb on board with these very talented Englishmen. I enjoy them so much, I think I may actually purchase these albums (this should generate audible gasps and "no way"'s from readers, so if you haven't yet, here is your cue). Give them a shot and see if you enjoy them as much as I do.

While you're at it, watch the video to their hit (in the UK, not in the US) "Five Years Time" here. It's a great song with a very fun little video that speaks volumes of their adoration of Noah Baumbach and Wes Anderson and their spare and quirky visual style.

0 comments:

Post a Comment