A Slice of Fried Gold

White Magic in Anchorage on Wednesday

Monday, September 21, 2009

Recently, I've grown a little less than enthused with Anchorage's music scene. I've come to the decision that unless you are a) a metal band, b) Elton John, c) a Moose's Tooth summer show or d) a very big rap group, you have basically no hopes of selling a lot of tickets for your concert. Look at the Hold Steady last week - evidently at the beginning of the show they had only sold 400 of the 1,000 tickets available. That makes me very sad as I'm sure bands come up here, see the paltry sales numbers, and then go around sharing with all of their friends in bands about how Alaska is just a terrible place to go to.

Which is why I think everyone should go see White Magic this Wednesday at the Kodiak Bar. I'd never actually heard about this band until recently, but a person who was running the show emailed me and suggested I checked the show out as it seemed like something I'd be interested in. She said that White Magic was on the same label as personal favorite Bill Callahan and Bonnie "Prince" Billy, which immediately stoked my interest. Ultimately though, White Magic is nothing at all like either of those artists, as this is a much more experimental group. The sound is very art rock and reflective, but still accessible. It's solid if unspectacular music that isn't necessarily my cup of tea.

However, it does sound like something that would work fairly well live, which is why I will be attending the show. Well, besides the fact that I need to put my money where my mouth is and support my local music scene. If we want any chance at consistently bringing up great artists, we're going to have to support everyone. Such is the duty of an Alaskan music fiend.

Check out White Magic this Wednesday at the Kodiak Bar, 9 pm. Tickets are $13, which is a small price to pay for great live music.

0 comments:

Post a Comment